E-HEAP/Emergency Services

Community Action offices administer and provide a variety of emergency services to our clients through our Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). This program offers assistance to clients with utility bills during the summer and winter months when utility costs are at their highest. These are broken into Summer Crisis and Winter Crisis. Please look at the menu bar to the left to find out more about these programs.

Applicants for emergency services should bring the following items with them when they schedule an appointment with our staff:

  • Proof of income for 13 weeks and/or 1 year
  • Social Security numbers for everyone in the household
  • Dates of birth for all household members
  • Disconnect Notice for gas and/or electric
  • Bulk Fuel at 25% or less of the tanks capacity
  • Case number from the Department of Job and Family Services
  • Current utility statements and/or invoices
  • For renters—name, address, and phone number of your landlord

Income Guidelines

To be considered income-eligible, a household must have a total income for the last 12 months or 90 days equal to or less than 175% of the federal poverty guidelines. These guidelines are revised annually. Please contact Community Action staff to find out how to determine your income eligibility.

To apply for HEAP or other Emergency Services, please contact CAODMU by selecting your corresponding county below:

  • For Delaware County, click HERE.
  • For Madison County, click HERE.
  • For Union County, click HERE.
  • For Champaign County, click HERE.
  • For Logan County, click HERE.
  • For Shelby County, click HERE.